It is worthwhile to take some time to plan exactly how to pack your items into the unit. Our unit sizes are determined by price, so you can save money here by assessing what you have to store and planning to pack it in efficiently – a smaller and well-packed unit will be cheaper than a larger one that is badly organized.
There are two key things to remember when organizing your self-storage unit. Firstly, you need to make sure that you can easily access the items you’ve stored in the facility when you want them. Secondly, you must take care when storing your items. These are your belongings, and there are measures you can take, apart from careful packing, that will help protect them during their time in the facility.
Other worthwhile tips to keep in mind include:
- If you’re storing heavy items or boxes ask to use our hand truck charge. We also have a forklift available.
- In all but the smallest units, try to create an aisle and leave enough room to be able to get round the back.
- Store your largest items first.
- If you’re stacking your unit high with boxes, always make sure to put the heaviest boxes at the bottom to avoid damage.
- Stack boxes and similarly sized items together to save space.
- Try not to lean furniture against outside walls.
- If you’re storing metal objects avoid resting them against items susceptible to damage.
- Try to assess what you’ll need to access frequently and keep it at the front of your unit.
- Fill anything that’s hollow – i.e. wardrobes, drawers, washing machines and fridges with small boxes and other items to maximize your available space.
- Make sure to stack boxes and containers so that you can see the labels you put on them.
- Wedge the doors of all kitchen appliances whilst in the facility open to avoid bad odors and mildew etc., building up.
- Don’t store anything in the facility that you’re not sure is sturdy vertically – if it seems wobbly store it horizontally.
Storing your belongings in the right manner can increase space efficiency and keep everything well-organized. Don’t underestimate the value of keeping things neat and tidy. You’ll be surprised with how much you can save by choosing an appropriately sized unit that can fit all your things by maximizing the available space that it has.
Abby’s Mini Storage has many convenient self-storage units located across the Bakersfield, California area. If you need help storing and organizing your belongings, we’re the name to remember.